Time FrameJune 30, 2018 Media Previews: June 28-29, 2018
Toy Story Land is currently under construction at Disney's Hollywood Studios and is set to officially open on June 30, 2018. Media previews will be held June 28-29, 2018.
The overall view of the land has changed slightly from the original announcement in 2015
Original (D23 Expo, August 2015)
Updated (Around Our World, April 2016)
Details of Toy Story Land are as follows:
- A third track for Toy Story Midway Mania opened May 23, 2016
- 11 Acre Land in Disney's Hollywood Studios set to open in late 2018.
- The land is set in the back yard of Andy from Toy Story.
- Includes the current Toy Story Midway Mania attraction which will have a new entrance as part of the land. The current Pixar Place entrance and street is expected to close. Toy Story Mania will operation with reduced capacity (single track) and Standby only from April 9 - May 7, 2018.
- Slinky Dog Dash: Guests will ride a Slinky Dog themed ride vehicle through the land on a family friendly coaster. The attraction features a coaster track that Andy has built all over his backyard using his Mega Coaster Play Kit. Andy has combined the Play Kit with other toys that are all integrated with the ride. The attraction will have a 38 inche height requirement.
- Alien Swirling Saucers: This attraction is designed as a toy play set that Andy got from Pizza Planet, inspired by the first Toy Story film. Aliens are flying around in their toy flying saucers and trying to capture your rocket toy vehicle with “The Claw.” As guests rotate around the toy planets and satellites as part of the game, they’ll swirl to the beat of fun “Space Jazz” music developed just for this experience.. The music, the lighting, and the sound effects will add to the flurry of your adventure while “The Claw” looms ominously over you. The attraction is expected to use the classic whip ride system currently used at Tow Mater's Junkyard Jamboree at Disney California Adventure. The attraction will have a 32 inch height requirement.
- New Entrance to Toy Story Mania - A new entrance will be made for Toy Story Mania. The current Pixar Place entrance will close upon the opening of Toy Story Land.
- Woody's Lunch Box - The walk up quick service location in the land, sponsored by Mini Babybel Cheese. Andy's lunchbox and thermos have been setup as a walk up window. Food offerings have not been revealed, but the location will offer old-fashioned soda floats.
- Woody, Jessie and Buzz Lightyear will each have daily meet and greets inside the land.
Additional details of Toy Story Land are as follows:
- The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow building was demolished to create the main pathway into the land from Hollywood Boulevard/Animation Courtyard.
- The land will be behind (West) the existing Toy Story Midway Mania building and include parts of the Studio Backlot Tour and Lights Motors Action practice area.
- The current Pixar Place area will close and a new entrance to Toy Story Midway Mania will be made on the opposite side of the building.
- The land is expected to open in Summer 2018
- The rumored budget is $268 million.
- Alien Swirling Saucers, Slinky Dog Dash and Toy Story Mania are expected to be Tier 1 Fastpass+ attractions when the land opens with all other attractions in the park shifting to tier 2.
Previous rumored Pixar attractions now appear to be dead. These include the following:
- A re-theming of the Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playset to "A Bug's Life" Theme
- An indoor re-imagined version of Radiator Springs Racers and a variation of Cars Land from Disney California Adventure
- Monster's Inc Laugh Floor to be relocated from Tomorrowland to the area being used for Star Wars Launch Bay.
- The Monster's Inc Door Coaster to be placed behind Monster's Inc Laugh Floor.
- Pixar will be the right side of the park.
The Toy Story/Pixar component is a portion of a larger scale Hollywood Studios makeover. The links to the larger overhaul rumor as well as Star Wars can be found below:
April 16, 2018: The Disney Parks Blog announced two new toys that are now installed in the Toy Story Mania queue. The attraction's queue is in the process of being reconfigured in preparation of Toy Story Land opening on June 30, 2018. The attraction will have a new entrance in the land and the current entrance (as well as the rest of Pixar Place) is expected to close.
The two new toys are Lenny, Andy’s walking binoculars, and Chuckles the clown, both from Toy Story 3.
April 11, 2018: WDWMagic.com user Rteetz is reporting that the media previews for Toy Story Land will be June 28th and 29th.
April 2, 2018: DisBoards.com member MrInfinity is reporting that club level selections for Fastpass+ are available for Disney's Hollywood Studios for June 30th and beyond. MrInfinity reports that the three Toy Story attractions will be Tier 1 Fastpass+ attractions (select 1) and the remaining attractions in the park will be Tier 2 (select 2).
March 22, 2018: The Disney Parks Blog announced that Woody, Jessie and Buzz will appear daily as meet and greet characters inside Toy Story Land when it opens on June 30, 2018.
March 12, 2018: The Disney Parks Blog shared a photo of a figure of Wheezy being added to Toy Story land.
February 26, 2018: Disney introduced a new guide map for Hollywood Studios. The map shows Toy Story Land as Coming Soon June 30, 2018.
February 16, 2018: BlogMickey.com is reporting the following height requirements for the new Toy Story Land attractions.
- Slinky Dog Dash: 38 inches (Same as Kali River Rapids and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train)
- Alien Swirling Saucers: 32 inches (Same as Tomorrowland Speedway)
February 16, 2018: The Disney Parks Blog and Good Morning America announced that Toy Story Land will officially open at Disney's Hollywood Studios on June 30, 2018.
February 7, 2018: The Disney Parks Blog shared a new piece of concept art for the Alien Swirling Saucers attraction that is set to open this summer with the rest of Toy Story Land.
Februray 6, 2018: WDWMagic.com user RTeetz is reporting that Toy Story Midway Mania will operate a single Standby only track from April 9th through May 7th. This change is in preparation of the new attraction entrance set to open when Toy Story Land opens this summer.
February 3, 2018: On Episode 147 of the Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish Podcast, Jim and Len discuss the new rumored named for Disney's Hollywood Studios, "Disney Cinemagine Park". Jim indicated that the new name would be mentioned at the Toy Story Land opening (expected for late Spring / Memorial Day) and be rolled out towards the end of the year.
January 6, 2018: The Mickey Views YouTube Channel shared a leaked video of the Slinky Dog Dash roller coaster testing.
November 10, 2017: The Disney Parks Blog shared photos and video of the Rex and Jessie figures for Slinky Dog Dash. Jessie appears on a stack of blocks and Rex appears at the top of a Jenga tower. These figures will be visible from the attraction and the land itself when it opens next year.
The new walk up quick service location is setup as Andy's lunchbox and thermos and like the rest of the land, toys of the characters will surround the area. Food offerings have not been revealed, but the location will offer old-fashioned soda floats.
The new location is sponsored by Mini Babybel, who has become the official snack cheese of Walt Disney World, Disneyland and the Disney Cruise Line.
October 15, 2017: On Episode 138 of the Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish Podcast, Jim Hill mentions that Disney is 7 months away from opening Toy Story Land.
September 24, 2017: BlogMickey.com posted a photo of Slinky Dog Dash vehicle testing.
September 15, 2017: The Disney Parks Blog shared images of the model of Toy Story Land that is now on display in Walt Disney Presents.
In addition to a full model of Toy Story Land, the exhibit showcases the ride vehicles of both Slinky Dog Dash and Alien Swirling Saucers
September 14, 2017: The Disney Parks Blog shared a video of Imagineers discussing the upcoming attraction, Slinky Dog Dash. The attraction will begin vehicle testing soon, well ahead of it's scheduled Summer 2018 opening date.
September 1, 2017: The Disney Parks Blog announced the official opening date of the Walt Disney Presents walk through exhibit. The exhibit will contain many similar elements to Walt Disney: One Man's Dream as well as a partial model of Star Wars: Galaxy Edge and Toy Story Land. The blog shared images of the new Toy Story Land model that will debut inside Walt Disney Presents on September 8th.
In addition to the models, new concept art for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway will also be on display inside the exhibit.
August 30, 2017: The Disney Parks Blog posted a video of the first Slinky Dog Dash vehicle arriving at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
August 28, 2017: BlogMickey.com has posted a photo of a Slinky Dog Dash vehicle arriving on site. The photo was taken from a Facebook post that has since been deleted.
August 11, 2017: The Disney Parks Blog announced that the Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge and Toy Story Land models will soon be coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios. The exhibit, Walt Disney: One Man's Dream will undergo a reimagining into Walt Disney Presents.
The new Walt Disney Presents exhibit will continue to feature historic items from Disney's history as well as act as a preview center for projects in development at the Walt Disney resort. Beginning in mid-September guests will be able to see the concept art, ride vehicle maquettes and the model for Toy Story Land, a partial model of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, and concept art for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway.
The attraction will continue to house a meet and greet area as well as showcase previews of upcoming movies.
August 1, 2017: The Disney Parks Blog shared photos and videos of the final track piece for Slinky Dog Dash being put in place.
July 23, 2017: @bioreconstruct posted photos of Toy Story Land and Twitter that show the track for Slinky Dog Dash is complete.
July 15, 2017: At the 2017 D23 Expo, Disney confirmed that Toy Story Land will open in Summer 2018 at Disney's Hollywood Studios. As part of the update, Disney shared a new piece of concept art for Slinky Dog Dash in Toy Story Land as well as a construction update hosted by the toys.
The construction update indicated that the turntables of Alien Swirling Saucers are already spinning.
May 23, 2017: BlogMickey.com posted photos of the new construction walls for Toy Story Land. Walls went up around the former Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow attraction and the expectation is that this area will be demolished as part of the entrance to Toy Story Land. The walls also include new graphics that may potentially be the new logo for the land.
May 20, 2017: WDWMagic.com user MichWolv posted a photo of Pixar Place that shows several props that have been removed. It is speculated that these props will be repurposed as part of Toy Story Land.
March 8, 2017: During the 2017 Disney Annual Shareholder's Meeting, Bob Iger confirmed that Toy Story Land will open in 2018.
February 22, 2017: MickeyXtreme.net posted aerial photos of the Toy Story Land construction site that show that track work has begun on the Slinky Dog Dash coaster.
February 20, 2017: WDWMagic.com user danlb_2000 is reporting that Disney has filed a Notice of Commencement that is likely for Alien Swirling Saucers. The description of the permit is, "Install Package 1 Showset Pieces".
December 19, 2016: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that Toy Story Land may see an improvement over the original dining offerings planned for the land.
October 3, 2016: Twitter user @MickeyXtreme is reporting that Toy Story Land construction has gone vertical.
June 17, 2016: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that the budget for Toy Story Land is $268 million and it is expected to open in the second half of 2018.
May 23, 2016: WDWNT.com confirmed that Pizza Planet will be re-themed to the Muppets and the new name will be "Pizza Rizzo". The name reportedly appears on internal documents and the restaurant is expected to re-open in late 2016.
May 23, 2016: The third track for Toy Story Midway Mania opened to the public a few days earlier than originally announced. Guests being sent to the third track will go left at the Fastpass+/Standby merge point.
Mr. Potato Head has not been added back to the queue but it is expected to return when Toy Story Land opens.
April 20, 2016: The Disney Parks Blog shared additional details on the upcoming Toy Story Land attractions coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios. The two additions were first announced at the D23 Expo in August of 2015, but additional details were revealed today.
The first attraction is called Slinky Dog Dash, dubbed a family roller coaster. The attraction features a coaster track that Andy has built all over his backyard using his Mega Coaster Play Kit. Andy has combined the Play Kit with other toys that are all integrated with the ride. The new piece of concept art showing modifications to the land can be found below:
The concept video of the attraction can be found here:
The second attraction will be called Alien Swirling Saucers. This attraction is designed as a toy play set that Andy got from Pizza Planet, inspired by the first Toy Story film. Aliens are flying around in their toy flying saucers and trying to capture your rocket toy vehicle with “The Claw.” Imagineer Kathy Mangum also indicated that as guests rotate around the toy planets and satellites as part of the game, they’ll swirl to the beat of fun “Space Jazz” music developed just for this experience.. The music, the lighting, and the sound effects will add to the flurry of your adventure while “The Claw” looms ominously over you.
Additionally, Toy Story Mania's third track will open Memorial Day Weekend adding to that attraction's capacity.
April 15, 2016: Disney is planning a three day media event discussing projects currently in development. It is expected that between April 18-20th Disney will offer more details on the Star Wars entertainment coming this summer, as well as details on Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land.
April 3, 2016: Construction walls are up around the Streets of America and those construction walls include updated concept art for Toy Story Land. A minor change to the Slinky Dog Coaster now shows the removal of a lift on the right side of the concept art. The lift hill appears to have been replaced with a launch that leads into an overbanked curve. Twitter user @bioreconstruct posted a photo of the new concept art.
It also appears that Star Wars Land can be seen in the top left hand corner of the updated concept art.
March 16, 2016: OrlandoParksNews.com is reporting that a large backstage area including the Creative Costuming building and Earffel Tower closed on March 15th. This area is expected to be cleared and is the approximate area for the Slinky Dog Coaster.
January 21, 2016: WDWMagic.com user WDW1974 reported that the opening date for Toy Story is expected to be late 2018/early 2019.
January 15, 2016: The Disney Parks Blog confirmed that Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show and surrounding areas along the Streets of America will close on April 2, 2016.
The closures are expected to be related to the Toy Story and Star Wars Land projects.
January 13, 2016: WDWMagic.com user FerretAfros posted photos of the new Toy Story Mania ride vehicles that were visible in the former Studio Backlot Tour costuming shop during Marathon Weekend.
January 8, 2016: WDWMagic.com is reporting that Pizza Planet will remain as a quick service pizza location when it re-opens after the refurbishment, but it is unknown whether or not it will retain the Toy Story Pizza Planet theme.
December 31, 2015: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that One Man's Dream is no longer expected to close in January. The understanding is that they are trying to keep as many attractions open as possible while construction begins. The same post also states that the main exhibit corridor for One Man's Dream is expected to be the future entrance area to Toy Story Land.
December 29, 2015: WDWMagic.com is reporting that Pizza Planet is expected to be closed for refurbishment from January 19, 2016 through November 7, 2016. At this time, the extent of the work has not been revealed, but WDWMagic.com user marni1971 has suggested that this could be rethemed to a Muppets themed restaurant.
November 19, 2015: WDWNT.com is reporting that Pizza Planet is set to close on January 11, 2016 and is expecting to re-open later in 2016. The article speculated that the restaurant could receive a Muppets re-theme.
November 14, 2015: WDWMagic.com user WhatJaneSays has reported hearing that Pizza Planet and Mama Melrose's are expected to close after the holidays and speculated that either one could receive a Muppets inspired re-theme.
November 1, 2015: On Episode 90 of The Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish podcast, Jim Hill said the following:
- Phase 1 is expected to be complete by the end of 2018.
- One possibility for additional Pixar content would be relocating the Monster's Inc Laugh Floor to the Animation Courtyard area, replacing the Star Wars Launch Bay. Following that, the Monster's Inc Door Coaster could be placed behind it.
September 18, 2015: WDWMagic.com is reporting that the third track for Toy Story Mania may open sooner than expected, potentially before the end of the year.
September 12, 2015: WDWMagic.com user MansionButler84 has reported the following timeline for Disney's Hollywood Studios:
- Toy Story Land Fall 2017
- Star Wars Land 2019
- Cars Land 2020
He also reported that large scale construction should be underway all over the park by this time next year. This was later verified by WDWMagic.com user Lee.
September 10, 2015: WDWMagic.com user Lee is reporting that Toy Story Land is expected to open in late 2017, Star Wars Land is expected to open potentially in phases in 2019-2020, and any Phase 3 additions would debut after that.
August 16, 2015: WDWMagic.com user IgnoHippo posted aerial photos as well as Concept art with labels of how the layout of the new Star Wars and Toy Story lands would be arranged in Disney's Hollywood Studios.
Toy Story Land notes:
- Toy Story Land will result in the demolition of One Man's Dream and The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow buildings.
- The land will be behind (West) the existing Toy Story Midway Mania building and include parts of the Studio Backlot Tour and Lights Motors Action practice area. It is expected to extend to World Drive (the current park barrier).
- The current Pixar Place area will close and a new entrance to Toy Story Midway Mania will be made on the opposite side of the building.
- The land is expected to open in 2017-2018
- Streets of America and Muppet*Vision 3-D do not appear to be affected by Star Wars or Toy Story Land, but likely could be removed as part of a Phase 2.
August 16, 2015: On a premium episode of the Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish, Jim Hill goes into additional detail on what's coming to Hollywood Studios, including what was not mentioned.
- Cars Land will go "above" Toy Story Land
- Additional Pixar content will go below Toy Story Land in the current Animation area
- Total Pixar Land could be twice the size of Star Wars Land and include Radiator Springs Racers
- Monster's Inc Door Coaster may be back on the table for Pixar Place
- Pixar will be the right side of the park.
- The Flying Saucers ride will be a whip ride similar to Tow Mater's Junkyard Jamboree
August 15, 2015: At the D23 Expo Parks and Resorts Presentation Bob Chapek and Kathy Mangum officially announce Toy Story Land. Details of the land are as follows:
- 11 Acre Land in Disney's Hollywood Studios
- The land is set in Andy from Toy Story's back yard.
- Includes the current Toy Story Midway Mania attraction. Previous announcements indicate a third track being constructed for Toy Story Midway Mania.
- Slinky Dog Coaster: Guests will ride a Slinky Dog themed ride vehicle through the land on a family friendly coaster. Trenches will be built for the coaster and the track will be themed to look like a toy roller coaster track.
- Alien Saucers Attraction: Guests will ride around in flying saucers inspired by the little green men from Toy Story all while avoiding the claw. The attraction is expected to use the Location Positioning System ride system that is currently in development for Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters at Disney California Adventure.
July 1, 2015: On Episode #82 of the Disney Dish Podcast with Jim Hill, he reports that a smaller version of Cars Land will be coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios. This would follow the smaller flat rides in the rumored Toy Story Playland Area. The Cars Land components are expected to be an indoor version of Radiator Springs Racers, Tow Mater's Junkyard Jamboree and Flo's V8 Cafe.
March 5, 2015: The Disney Parks Blog confirmed that a third track will be added to Toy Story Midway Mania by the end of 2016.
February 20, 2015: WDWMagic.com user cjk0318 has posted photos that walls are up around Soundstage 1 at Disney's Hollywood Studios. This is likely related to exterior work on the third track for Toy Story Midway Mania.
January 5, 2015: Wandering Oaken's Trading Post had it's last day of operation on January 4, 2015. The venue debuted as part of Frozen Summer Fun Live before relocating to the former AFI Showcase area on September 30, 2014. It is expected that the closure of the area is to facilitate new construction in an expanded Pixar Place area of Disney's Hollywood Studios.
December 30, 2014: WDWNT.com has reported that the possible Toy Story Playland attractions include the following:
- RC Racer: This attraction exists at both Hong Kong Disneyland and Disney Studios Paris. It is a steel shuttle coaster that launches guests back and forth on a track that extends 80 feet in the air.
- Woody's Round Up: A version of the Tow Mater's Junkyard Jamboree from Disney California Adventure, this would feature horse-drawn carriages.
- Luigi's Flying Tire Variant: With Luigi's Flying Tires at Disney California Adventure getting a trackless replacement, the third attraction is speculated to be a variant of this based on Buzz Lightyear.
December 12, 2014: In a series of tweets, @JimHillMedia revealed details on several components of the Pixar Place expansion. These include:
- The Pixar Place expansion is a two phase project. (Tweet)
- Phase 1 will include spinners from Hong Kong Disneyland Disney Studios Paris and open in late Spring/ early Summer 2016. (Tweet)
- Phase 2 will include an indoor re-imagining of Radiator Springs Racers. (Tweet)
- A Toy Story Carousel is a potential project where guests would ride on the back of Bullseye and other characters from all four Toy Story Movies. (Tweet)
- It will be a mix of Pixar Properties. (Tweet)
- The mix of components is still in flux. (Tweet)
- Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playset will be Re-themed to "A Bug's Life" (Tweet)
November 4, 2014: MiceChat.com is reporting that the Mater's Junkyard Jamboree attraction Disney California Adventure will be given a Woody from Toy Story theme for it's Florida counterpart. According to MiceChat, the attraction will be one of three smaller scale attractions in a Toy Story Playland area that is expected to be built on the former footprint of the Studio Backlot Tour. The article also mentions that the original plan to clone Cars Land in Hollywood Studios was stopped by Disney's accountants.
October 28, 2014: WDWMagic.com user WDW1974 has reported that Star Wars, Cars, and Toy Story areas will be added to Disney's Hollywood Studios. He once again acknowledged the name change and mentioned that the budget would be close to the $1.2 billion spent at Disney California Adventure. The budget will be spent over the next 5 years and construction will begin after the holidays and accelerate after Easter. The only attractions guaranteed to remain in some capacity are Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Toy Story Midway Mania, Star Tours and Tower of Terror. He also indicated that there would be "a few" (likely two) major additions as well as minor additions and the park will be supplemented with entertainment (fireworks) during the construction.
October 5, 2014: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 has reported that the investment into Hollywood Studios may be bigger than the investment into Disney California Adventure.
October 4, 2014: WDWMagic.com user Lee has reported that the budget for the changes to the former Studio Backlot Tour area will be in the 2015 Fiscal Year budget (Begins in October).
September 26, 2014: On Episode 66 of the Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish Podcast with Jim Hill, Jim Hill presents the following information about the redo of Disney's Hollywood Studios, the below pertain to Pixar content:
- The closure of the Studio Backlot Tour and surrounding areas are to make way for additional Pixar content
- Pixar content could include a version of Toy Story Playland from Disney Studios Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland
- Pixar content could include an indoor version of Cars Land that would feature an entirely indoor portion of Radiator Springs Racers as Flo's Restaurant
- Because the Monster's Inc Scream Coaster has been developed, he speculated that could go in Soundstage 1
- He does not believe that Toy Story Mania is getting a 3rd track
September 25, 2014: WDWMagic.com user Lee has reported that fellow WDWMagic.com user marni91 has spotted Tom Fitzgerald, John Lasseter, Meg Crofton, George Kalogridis and others at Soundstage 1 today. User Lee also posted that the overall makeover for Hollywood Studios may be on the Disney California Adventure scope.
September 24, 2014: WDWMagic.com user danlb_2000 has reported that Disney has filed a Notice of Commencement for "Project 3 - Soundstage 1 Renovation". While details are sparse, the contractor is Whiting Turner who was previously involved in the initial construction of Toy Story Mania.
September 19, 2014: The Studio Backlot Tour is set to have it's last day of operation on September 27, 2014. WDWNT.com was the first site to post this report, which was later supported by reports on the cast member web portal known as "The Hub". WDWNT.com also speculates that the vacated Backlot Tour would be used for Pixar expansion, and possible a version of the Toy Story Play Land that has been added to Disney Studios Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland.
The attraction does not have any times listed after September 27th, 2014 on the official Disney World site. Additional attractions/facilities like the Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playset, Studio Catering Company, High Octane Refreshments, Monster's University Meet and Greet, and Coca-Cola Cool Set do not have times listed beyond October 11th, 2014. All other attractions in the park have times listed through January.
September 7, 2014: WDWMagic.com user JimboJones123 has reported that the Wandering Oaken Trading Post will be relocated from Stage 1 to the former AFI Showcase/Shop location at the end of the Studio Backlot Tour. The Ice Rink would not be relocated, but the merchandise, snowman building, and snack location would be relocated. The given time frame was October 1st, and it was also speculated to help facilitate construction of a third track for Toy Story Midway Mania! This portion of the rumor is not confirmed.
August 10, 2014: Episode 62 of the Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish podcast with Jim Hill include updates on several rumors. The rumors related to Hollywood Studios are as follows:
- $700 Million investment in the park.
- A major overhaul to the park is expected. This will include a selection of new smaller attractions (B/C-ticket level attractions) as well as other more substantial changes and additions. This will also include the removal of any of the former movie making components/history of the park. The timeline for major construction will wait until components of the Animal Kingdom/Avatar changes are on line.
- Star Wars is the largest component of this, but it will take several years to do. Construction could begin on Star Wars content as soon as January. It will be the first component of the Hollywood Studios Changes brought on line.
- The Great Movie Ride is expected to close, but it will be among the last elements that change. It is also booked through 2017 for corporate events.
- The Christmas lights will remain, but it may be rebranded to the Great Christmas Light Fight. They may be taking the Osborne name off the show and have considered a Frozen theme. They could also be looking at other names in focus groups
- Ride system used in Ratatouille ride in France will find it's way to Hollywood Studios, but the theme has not been determined.
- Beauty and the Beast may remain because a theatrical show is in the works for Broadway. However, there have been discussions about a Tangled themed show.
- Frozen Sing a Long could potentially move to The American Idol Experience theater.
September 27, 2013: WDWMagic user WDW1974 has reported that Cars Land is not completely shelved as a project.
September 11, 2013: Robert Niles of Theme Park Insider has reported that Cars Land has been shelved as a project for Hollywood Studios in favor of Star Wars.
August 20, 2013: WDWMagic user WDW1974 has reported that Cars Land is now doubtful as a project for Hollywood Studios, with a Star Wars Land expected to take it's place.
August 13, 2013: The Boston Globe has reported that CEO Bob Iger said the following, "We’re going to continue to invest in Disneyland,’’ Iger said. ‘‘We’ve got some pretty exciting things that we’ll be announcing over the next couple of months.’’ It is assumed that this will also include attractions for Disney World as well.
July 9, 2013: MiceAge.com has reported that a few weeks ago the expansion plans for Hollywood Studios were discussed in a meeting of the Board of Directors that was held at Disneyland. This would include a more modest version of Cars Land.
June 28-29, 2013: MiceAge.com interviewed D23 spokesperson, Jeffrey Epstein and Imagineer Dave Fisher about the upcoming D23 Expo. In the interview, and later confirmed by Jeffrey Epstein on Twitter, it was revealed that there will not be a Parks and Resorts arena presentation at the D23 Expo. Disney and More also confirmed that due to secrecy surrounding Avatar and other projects, Disney was simply not ready to announce them at the upcoming D23 Expo.
June 17, 2013: Screamscape.com has reported that Lights, Motors, Action cast members have let it leak that their last performance will be roughly a year from now.
June 15, 2013: WDWMagic.com user WDW1974 reported that the content of Robert Niles' article is correct and significant changes to the "production side" of Hollywood Studios are imminent. As part of these changes, it is expected that the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights will be ending it's run at Hollywood Studios by the 2014 Holiday Season.
June 14, 2014: Jim Hill posted on the WDWKingdomCast Facebook page that Robert Niles' report is correct with both a Star Wars Land and Cars Land coming to Hollywood Studios. It is expected that the Star Wars Land is expected to open prior to Cars Land.
June 13, 2013: Robert Niles of Theme Park Insider has posted an article that cites George Kalogridis' move to over see Walt Disney World as further evidence of a full scale overhaul of Hollywood Studios. According to Niles, this overhaul would include both Cars Land as well as a Star Wars Land. According to Niles, the Cars Land content would replace the Backlot Tour and Lights, Motors, Action areas and may include other Pixar content.
June 4, 2013: MiceAge.com references various scales of additions coming to Hollywood Studios. These range from $1 billion+ to a "more modest" approach. The expectation is that these changes would be centered around Cars or Star Wars with the expectation that a definitive announcement will be made at the D23 Expo from August 9-11.
May 21, 2013: The owner of TikiManPages.com posted the following information to WDWMagic.com in the ongoing Cars Land discussion: "There will be no Cars land in WDW. There will be a huge new project that will take out things around Star Tours all the way to Indy and the lake next to it." A follow up post by user nicknick553 indicates that recent construction survey work indicated that the land would not be suitable for a full Cars Land due to the risk of pot holes.
May 20, 2013: Screamscape.com also reports that Cars Land in Hollywood Studios would receive a different dark ride concept than Radiator Springs Racers that may integrate Catastrophe Canyon.
May 14, 2013: OrlandoParksNews.com posted an update to the Cars Land rumor. Their update cites a budget of $500 million anchored by an E-Ticket that is not Radiator Springs Racers.
February 05, 2013: Al Lutz updated the rumor saying that the time frame would be Late 2015/Early 2016. Lutz's update explains that the Fantasyland Expansion wasn't pulling the numbers Disney had hoped for and Cars Land became more of a priority. Initially, the understanding was that Florida would receive a significantly trimmed down Cars Land, but it sounds like the current rumor only has Luigi's Flying Tires not making the cut. Perhaps the most intriguing aspect of Lutz's article is as follows:
TDO execs were also told to stop value-engineering the project into a smaller footprint with fewer offerings and let WDI do their work. And since the James Cameron alliance that was supposed to bring Avatarland to WDW within the same timeframe is going nowhere fast, and may not even show up in a theme park at all at this point, WDI is thrilled to dig in and start real work on an accelerated plan to bring Cars Land to Florida.
August 28, 2012: Poster whylightbulb on WDWMagic.com posted an update that was later removed indicating that a version of Cars Land was in the works for Hollywood Studios.
July 21, 2008: JimHillMedia.com first references a Monster's Inc Roller Coaster concept.