Time FrameAfter Star Wars Land
Rumor StatusBlue Sky
A long standing rumor for Disney's Hollywood Studios is an overhaul to the Animation Courtyard. Over the years this has taken a variety of forms with many of them beginning with a replacement to Voyage of the Little Mermaid. An additional rumor dating back several years involves a Monster's Inc themed area taking over the entire Animation Courtyard.
The Monster's Inc rumor originated with Jim Hill and it has the stretch of attractions from Walt Disney: One Man's Dream to the Star Wars Launch Bay being replaced. It could also include a re-theme of Rock 'n' Roller Coaster to a version of a 2008 Imagineering concept for a Mosnter's Inc door coaster. The original concept was an inverted coaster, so it would require changes from the original proposal.
At this point, details on potential changes to the Animation Courtyard are minimal, but it is expected that this area will undergo significant changes following the opening of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge in 2019.
August 8, 2018: WDWMagic.com users roj2323 and marni1971 are reporting that after Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, the next area of Hollywood Studios expected to receive updates will be the Animation Courtyard area.
June 17, 2017: On the recent episode of the Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish Podcast, Jim Hill mentions that after Star Wars Land opens, Disney is looking at replacing Animation Courtyard with a Monster's Inc themed area that may also include a re-theme of Rock 'n' Roller Coaster.
November 1, 2015: On Episode 90 of The Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish podcast, Jim Hill said the following:
- When construction is complete, Disney's second hard ticketed Halloween event is expected to debut. This would be different than Club Villain
- Phase 1 (Star Wars and Toy Story) is expected to be complete by the end of 2018.
- One possibility for additional Pixar content would be relocating the Monster's Inc Laugh Floor to the Animation Courtyard area, replacing the Star Wars Launch Bay. Following that, the Monster's Inc Door Coaster could be placed behind it.
- He expects that The Osborne Lights will return at some point in the future.
October 3, 2015: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 posted a map that shows the various phases of development for Hollywood Studios. This was later corroborated by WDWMagic.com user Lee.
- Green - phase one (Toy Story Land)
- Red - phase two (Star Wars Land)
- Yellow - phase three
- Blue - phase four
- Orange - changes / enhancements
- Purple - infrastructure
September 10, 2015: WDWMagic.com user Lee is reporting that Toy Story Land is expected to open in late 2017, Star Wars Land is expected to open potentially in phases in 2019-2020, and any Phase 3 additions would debut after that.
September 7, 2015: WDWMagic.com user wdwmagic reported that the scheduled refurbishment for Voyage of the Little Mermaid did not take place.
August 16, 2015: On a premium episode of the Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish, Jim Hill goes into additional detail on what's coming to Hollywood Studios, including what was not mentioned.
- Cars Land will go "above" Toy Story Land
- Additional Pixar content will go below Toy Story Land in the current Animation area
- The Cantina band will be a "touring band" and be coming from the Mos Eisley Cantina. The restaurant will hold 300-500 people.
- The First Order and the Resistance battle attraction will be tied to the Rogue One movie and guests will be in possession of the battle plans for the Death Star.
- Total Pixar Land could be twice the size of Star Wars Land and include Radiator Springs Racers
- Monster's Inc Door Coaster may be back on the table for Pixar Place
- Pixar will be the right side of the park.
- The Flying Saucers ride will be a whip ride similar to Tow Mater's Junkyard Jamboree
- Star Wars content will be on the left side of the park, taking over Echo Lake
- Muppet*Vision 3-D should remain
- Opening could be as late as 2022 for Star Wars and Toy Story Land in 2018-2019 with Cars and additional Pixar content coming before Star Wars.
July 30, 2015: WDWNT.com is reporting that Voyage of the Little Mermaid and Walt Disney: One Man's Dream are expected to close before the end of the fiscal year, September 27, 2015. WDWMagic.com user marni1971 has also reported that he has heard similar information.
April 8, 2015: WDWMagic.com user WDW1974 has reported that the Tangled: The Musical show that's coming to the Disney Cruise line is still likely for Disney's Hollywood Studios.
April 2, 2015: The Disney Parks Blog reported that Tangled: The Musical is coming to the Disney Cruise Line this November.
September 26, 2014: On Episode 66 of the Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish Podcast with Jim Hill, Jim Hill presents the following information about the redo of Disney's Hollywood Studios:
- Park will be renamed Disney's Hollywood Adventure
- The closure of the Studio Backlot Tour and surrounding areas are to make way for additional Pixar content
- Pixar content could include a version of Toy Story Playland from Disney Studios Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland
- Pixar content could include an indoor version of Cars Land that would feature an entirely indoor portion of Radiator Springs Racers as Flo's Restaurant
- Because the Monster's Inc Scream Coaster has been developed, he speculated that could go in Soundstage 1
- The Beauty and the Beast stage show could finally be replaced with a Tangled show if the show proves successful on the cruise line. The time frame for this would be at least 2-3 years out.
- The Star Wars content is still planned for the Echo Lake area
- He does not believe that Toy Story Mania is getting a 3rd track
- Wandering Oaken's Trading Post is moving into the AFI Showcase area through at least January to function as a Frozen merchandise area during the Osborne Lights.
June 13, 2013: Robert Niles of Theme Park Insider has posted an article that cites George Kalogridis' move to over see Walt Disney World as further evidence of a full scale overhaul of Hollywood Studios. According to Niles, this overhaul would include both Cars Land as well as a Star Wars Land. According to Niles, the Cars Land content would replace the Backlot Tour and Lights, Motors, Action areas and may include other Pixar content from Monster's Inc or the Incredibles.
May 14, 2013: The latest rumor from OrlandoParkNews.com points to the Tangled stage show once rumored as a Beauty and the Beast - Live on Stage replacement may actually be the replacement for Voyage of the Little Mermaid.
January 28, 2013: Screamscape.com has posted images of a new ride system that may potentially be used in Shanghai for Monster's Inc. The Images depict an omnimover type ride that will allow the track to intersect itself. While nothing definitively states that this will also be used in Florida, the existence of the ride system presents another possibile option.
September 24, 2012: Entertainment Cast Member and WDWMagic.com user drew81 posted a rumor that Voyage of the Little Mermaid would soon be replaced by a Phineas and Ferb stage show.
July 21, 2008: JimHillMedia.com first references a Monster's Inc Roller Coaster concept.